EPIC: An education program to build the skills of your management team – Invest in your Management Team TODAY to Insure your firm’s continued success in the Future!
The continued success of your firm and the local construction industry depends upon our ability to expand the skills of individuals who are new to the industry and prepare them for the professional leadership roles of tomorrow. The Washtenaw Contractors Association’s Emerging Professionals in Construction Program (EPIC) will play a key role in this effort.
WHO Should Participate?
The EPIC program is targeted to those in their early years as a professional in the construction industry in the Washtenaw County area including:
• Those who are in one of their first positions after completing their education
• Those who have transitioned from a career in a different industry
• Those who are new to the construction industry in this geographic region
• Trades people who have recently moved into management positions
WHAT is the Program Format?
• Monthly half-day programs from September through April (program participants will participate in the planning of the educational session so they meet their specific needs)
• Participation in the WCA’s JUST BUILD IT! Construction Career Expo and Annual Meeting in May
• Attendance at the Kick-Off Session and a minimum of seven of the nine sessions is required for graduation
WHERE and WHEN will the program meet?
- Monthly half-day programs from September through May (program participants will participate in the planning of the educational session so they meet their specific needs)
- Most sessions will be conducted at Washtenaw Community College
- Participation in the WCA’s JUST BUILD IT! Construction Career Expo at EMU on October 25th and the WCA Annual Meeting in May
- Attendance at a minimum of seven of the nine sessions is required for graduation
WHY should we participate?
• Employers – The EPIC program is an investment in your professional management team. Your firm is only as good as its people!
• Employees – The EPIC program will help you advance your career by having seasoned professionals share how they achieved success in our local construction industry, by learning about other aspects of the industry that are important to your own work, and by having the opportunity to build lasting business relationships.
COST to participate?
• $900 per person for WCA Members which includes the September kick off session, seven monthly educational sessions, and one volunteer day with continental breakfast and lunch each day; lunch at the Career Expo, and the WCA Annual Meeting registration
• $1200 per person for Non-Members (Note: the $300 non-member premium will be credited towards the annual WCA membership fee if the firm joins by October 1, 2016)
Note: Educational Sessions will follow the same chronology as an actual project. They will include panelists from various sectors of the industry that will offer “real world” experience and advice
|Sept. 8, 2016||8:00 AM – 12:15 PM||#1 – Kick Off Session/ Team Builiding|
|Oct. 13, 2016||8:00 AM – 12:15 PM||#2 – Educational Session – Bidding Process|
|Oct. 26, 2016||Two-hour slot (will vary)||JUST BUILD IT! Construction Career Expo (Participants will volunteer for this)|
|Nov. 10, 2016||8:00 AM – 12:15 PM||#3 – Educational Session – Contract Review|
|Dec. 8, 2016||8:00 AM – 12:15 PM||#4 – Educational Session – Procurement, Approvals & Labor Relations|
|Jan. 12, 2017||8:00 AM – 12:15 PM||#5 – Educational Session – Scheduling|
|Feb. 9, 2017||8:00 AM – 12:15 PM||#6 – Educational Session – Change Management & Dispute Resolution|
|Mar. 9, 2017||8:00 AM – 12:15 PM||#7 – Educational Session – Close Out & Lien Law|
|Apr. 13, 2017||8:00 AM – 12:15 PM||#8 – Educational Session – Personal Skills Improvement & Technology|
|May 18, 2017 (tentative)||8:00 AM – 2:00 PM||#9 – Educational Session – Presentation Skills
WCA Annual Meeting & Graduation Ceremony